Integrity Commissioner J. David Wake, K.C., today filed an interim report with the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. The report is in regard to an affidavit submitted by Marit Stiles, Leader of the Official Opposition and MPP for Davenport on February 23, 2023, in which she requested an opinion under section 30 of the Members’ Integrity Act, 1994.
Specifically, Ms. Stiles requested an opinion on whether the Honourable Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario and MPP for Etobicoke North contravened sections 2, 4, and 6(1) of the Act, sections of its preamble or any Ontario parliamentary convention in relation to two family wedding events.
On January 18, 2023, Commissioner Wake began an inquiry under section 31 of the Act into potential contraventions of the Act with respect to the decision to allow development on lands in the Greenbelt and Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve. This inquiry is based on an earlier request from Ms. Stiles.
In his interim report, Commissioner Wake noted some issues with the February 23 request from Ms. Stiles in meeting the high bar of reasonable and probable grounds. However due to the overlap with this request and the issue being determined in the section 31 inquiry currently underway, he has decided to put the request in abeyance until the completion of the open inquiry.
The interim report is available online under Commissioner’s Reports.
About the OIC
The Office has seven mandates under five pieces of legislation:
- Members’ Integrity, providing confidential conflict of interest advice to MPPs and conducting inquiries into alleged breaches;
- Ministers’ Staff Ethical Conduct, providing conflict of interest advice and direction to public servants in ministers’ offices;
- Lobbyists Registration, operating Ontario’s lobbyist registry and conducting investigations into potential non-compliance;
- Public Sector Ethics, providing conflict of interest advice and direction to Ethics Executives in ministries and public bodies;
- Disclosure of Wrongdoing, receiving whistleblowing disclosures from current and former members of the Ontario Public Service; and,
- Expenses Review:
- Reviewing the travel, meal and hospitality expenses of Cabinet ministers, parliamentary assistants, Opposition leaders, and their staff; and,
- Reviewing the travel, meal and hospitality expenses of selected provincial agencies.
Contact: Michelle Renaud, Manager, Communications and Outreach | firstname.lastname@example.org |