May 23, 2019
The Honourable J. David Wake, Integrity Commissioner, today released his report into a complaint regarding Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Children, Community and Social Services and Member of Provincial Parliament for Nepean. An affidavit was submitted on March 8, 2019 by Michael Coteau, Member of Provincial Parliament for Don Valley East, under section 30 of the Members’ Integrity Act, 1994.
Mr. Coteau alleged in the affidavit that Minister MacLeod and her political staff contravened section 4 of the Act, as well as parliamentary convention by engaging in threatening conduct against the Ontario Association of Behaviour Analysis (ONTABA). Minister MacLeod has denied that she had any intention to threaten ONTABA in the manner alleged by Mr. Coteau.
After assessing the complaint, Commissioner Wake determined that there were insufficient grounds to conduct an inquiry. As required by the Act, the Commissioner has set out his reasons for this decision in the report which can be found at www.oico.on.ca under MPP Integrity, Commissioner’s Reports.
The Commissioner is not available for interviews.
About the OIC
The Office has seven mandates under five pieces of legislation:
- Members’ Integrity, providing confidential conflict of interest advice to MPPs;
- Ministers’ Staff Ethical Conduct, providing conflict of interest advice to public servants in ministers’ offices;
- Lobbyists registration, operating Ontario’s lobbyist registry and conducting investigations into matters of potential non-compliance;
- Disclosure of wrongdoing, receiving whistleblowing disclosures from current and former members of the Ontario Public Service;
- Reviewing the travel, meal and hospitality expenses of Cabinet Ministers, parliamentary assistants opposition leaders and their staff;
- Reviewing the travel, meal and hospitality expenses of selected agencies; and,
- Public Sector Ethics, providing conflict of interest advice and direction to a broad range of public servants.
Ce communiqué est également disponible en français.
Senior Advisor, Policy and Outreach