May 7, 2019
The Honourable J. David Wake, Integrity Commissioner, today released his report into a complaint regarding Doug Ford, Premier and Member of Provincial Parliament for Etobicoke North. An affidavit was submitted on March 5, 2019 by Kevin Yarde, Member of Provincial Parliament for Brampton North, under section 30 of the Members’ Integrity Act, 1994.
Mr.Yarde alleged in the affidavit that the Premier contravened sections 2 and 4 of the Act by approving a decision to have Brad Blair dismissed from his position as Deputy Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.
After assessing the complaint, Commissioner Wake determined that there were insufficient grounds to conduct an inquiry. As required by the Act, the Commissioner has set out his reasons for this decision in the report which can be found at www.oico.on.ca under MPP Integrity, Commissioner’s Reports.
The Commissioner is not available for interviews.
About the OIC
The Office has seven mandates under five pieces of legislation:
- Members’ Integrity, providing confidential conflict of interest advice to MPPs;
- Ministers’ Staff Ethical Conduct, providing conflict of interest advice to public servants in ministers’ offices;
- Lobbyists registration, operating Ontario’s lobbyist registry and conducting investigations into matters of potential non-compliance;
- Disclosure of wrongdoing, receiving whistleblowing disclosures from current and former members of the Ontario Public Service;
- Reviewing the travel, meal and hospitality expenses of Cabinet Ministers, parliamentary assistants opposition leaders and their staff;
- Reviewing the travel, meal and hospitality expenses of selected agencies; and,
- Public Sector Ethics, providing conflict of interest advice and direction to a broad range of public servants.
Ce communiqué est également disponible en français.
Michelle Renaud, Senior Advisor, Policy and Outreach